Sunday, April 19, 2015

Response to Course Materials

These past couple of weeks have been interesting enough as far as school goes. AP Lit is still my favorite class, and is really the only class that I consistently enjoy. Exams are only two weeks away, and it is an understatement to say that I am worried. I don't have any experience with taking AP exams so it really will be a hit or a miss for me. I got my AP exam study guide, so I suppose I'll be alright.

One thing that we did toward the beginning of this unit was Critical lenses. There are so many different lenses to consider when reading a work. I'm still moderately confused on this one because it seems like lenses are more of a personal template for criticism rather than "different ways we can interpret". I mean, yeah I can understand how a feminist critic would interpret a work, but should I be applying it to my criticisms? Personally, I often find myself contemplating the psychological aspects of the literature we read in class. That's just how I think.

We also did another set of Open prompts. They are getting A LOT easier to do now. I do have a confession to make on the subject. I wrote my last open prompt part 2 using Fifth Business. This was probably a bad move on my part because we had not discussed it in class at the time. So, who ever reads this post, I hope you know this before you read my open prompt post because there is a 100% chance it is terrible. I think it will be interesting to look back and compare my thoughts on the book from when i wrote the essay and when we finish our in-class discussions.

We also finished Frankenstein. I don't really have much to say on this, and I think I talked about it a bit in my last RCM. Cool concepts, exceptional book, interesting intentions and effects.

Fifth business. Oh my, Fifth Business. Anyone in 6th hour probably has an idea of how much I love this book. It is my favorite work that we've read in class, BY FAR. There is just so much to think about from this book, every single event and detail serves a purpose, and I can not wait to unravel the mystery with my class. I also am anticipating some future conflicts in out class discussions because I feel that this book can be interpreted on a lot of different platforms.

30 seconds of mythology. I did it, it took like an hour, and it was interesting.

The End.

3 comments:

  1. Abby,
    Good sign off with the end. I think it is very fitting because this is the last RTCM post we have. Good recollection of everything. I'm very nervous for my first set of AP's as well. Good luck I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've taken an AP exam before and they're nothing to worry about, really. The majority of the country really sucks at AP Lit, so I think we'll be fine. Your post covered every thing, and you made lots of personal connections to the texts. I found it interesting that you consider yourself to be a psychological critic. I hadn't thought of it before, but if I had to chose, I think I would go with the New Historicism theory. I always find my self date checking and looking at different cultural aspects (such as sex being much more taboo in American literature compared to European).

    Anyways, I digress. All in all, good job. You covered everything completely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Abby,
    Really nice job with this, I can't think of any criticisms at all. You covered all we did and also incorporated personal reactions. The only little thing you forgot was to include the Kahoot's which we used to review terms.
    Overall well done on this post!

    ReplyDelete