Sunday, October 19, 2014

Response to Course Materials

     Over the past few weeks, our class has had many different accomplishments. We finally finished discussing Edward Albee's play, The American Dream, and I am happy to say that we are starting a new play, Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller. We also read the book, The Nuts and Bolts of College Writing by Michael Harvey, which we were able to put to use when editing our college essays.


     With finishing up the class discussion of The American Dream and collectively writing a theme statement for the play, we now have a clearer understanding of what Albee was trying to express. Our boss theme statement was as follows: an increased emphasis on consumerism and greed creates a diseased American Dream that will inevitably turn around and destroy its creators. It is evident in the play that Albee wanted to warn the people of the terrible society that they were creating. However, when we learned that the Young man was in fact Mommy and Daddy's murderer, we realized that Albee was not only exposing the impending doom of society, but also that we lack the ability to clearly see all aspects of the play as well as the world around us and how certain aspects are inherently destructive. Albee was not pointing fingers at the world, but at each of us, as individuals, making his point of criticism by example.

     This past week, we watched most of the incredibly depressing movie, Death of a Salesman. I am interested to see how using a visual aid rather than the play itself for the quick read will affect how well I interpret it during the close read. The movie was good, Willy reminded me of Robert De Niro, but that's pretty irrelevant. Death of a Salesman is pretty dark in nature: waning salesman deeply depressed and schizophrenic with his only hope of sanity in the hands of his unambitious and morally lost sons. With elements of cruelty, failure, and disappointment, it seems have some connection with The American Dream. Both plays are critical to specific elements of the era in which they are set, and their common themes expose how the loss of traditional morals and the obsession with accomplishment and worth negatively affect society.

     On a Friday in class, we had the opportunity to attempt at writing out first college essay. This was a challenge because I found that each of the given prompts were both vague and specific at the same time. I have no idea how that was accomplished, but kudos to whomever is responsible. I have no doubt that as the class proceeds I will grow accustomed to these prompts and they will no longer be an issue. What was cool about the timing of the reading of Nuts and Bolts and the writing of our essays was that we were able to come back and edit the essays after we had learned so much from the book. The biggest thing that the book stressed was the destructive use of pompous writing in college essays. Students often use gargantuan words to try and make themselves seem more intelligent, but it actually takes away from their developing ideas in the piece (I used gargantuan for ironic effect). Harvey said that being concise and simple is more effective in writing, and I found this newly acquired knowledge helpful when editing my essay. I found myself guilty of using pompous language, and before this class, I was under the impression that writing styles like the ones critiqued in Harvey's novel were actually helpful. What a news flash!

NOTE: I have completely removed the section of commentary on my history book. This is because I realized that my rant on political influences in our education systems was incredibly irrelevant to the course material of the class. However, I would like to make a brief point on the subject. It would be bold to say that there is no subtle political influence in schools. Think of it this way, a person with a great deal of accomplishment and worldly knowledge and experience, like a scientist or a corporate executive, would likely feel the need to influence their direct family into their views on how to make the world a better place. Now, lets say that this person is an education administrator or professor who has a wide range of influence and power over the education systems. That person is likely to have bias when educating the abundance of youth that they are trying to make a lasting impression on. If you were to take a second, in depth, look at any critical administrative action or academic requirements in a school you might find hints here and there of party affiliation. In my commentary on the history book, I was just trying to use DIDLS to point out the political influence that I found while reading it. I may have been a bit aggressive in the process of doing so, and I apologize, I never meant to offend anyone. I was just excited because I finally had legitimate, quotable, proof of the influences I have consistently recognized since the days of forced snack sharing and class averages in secondary school.



9 comments:

  1. Hey Abby,

    Nice recap, but there are just a few spelling and grammar errors you need to fix. I think it’s due to the fact people skip over wrong words when reading their own work; I do it all the time.

    What do you think of Miller saying Death of a Salesman is supposed to be optimistic? I too thought it was depressing and that there was never any hope of Willie succeeding, but Miller seems to think differently. I think that the meaning behind the play makes it too tragic and significant to be optimistic.

    I liked your use of gargantuan; in fact, I had already decided to comment on it before reading your side note. It’s cool to see someone applying what we’ve learned in AP lit to actual writing.

    I took APUSH last year – man what a killer class. I’ve read Out of Many and do not think it is the “liberal agenda [being] force fed to students through the education system”. While I’m sure the writers had some bias, I think you should consider how your own political views affect the way you read the text. I personally don’t think that “radical democracy” is a popular term, and that it isn’t an attempt to liberalize children. I think the authors are trying to describe states’ systems, not comment on them politically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morgan,

      Thank you for your comment!
      To start off, I don't not yet have an understanding of how Miller meant DoaS to be optimistic, and I hope to gain some insight from some of our next class discussions. The only thing I can think of as of right now is that perhaps Miller was hoping we would compare our own lives to that of Willy and feel humbled and grateful by it. But, I could be completely wrong!
      I think you are right about how my own political views affect the way that I read text, and I think that statement can be applied to anyone who recognizes their affiliation as well as the probable affiliations of others based on their actions and social standings.
      The whole point of studying history is to learn how social, economic, and governmental accomplishments and mistakes affected the world, and how to learn from example to create and sustain a better future. This educational purpose is incredibly important when shaping the youth into innovative, informed, and politically active adults. With this in mind, I believe that the authors are trying to do more than just describe the states' systems, because they have every opportunity and purpose to do so.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, Willy not Willie. That was bugging me. They really should have an edit option on comments....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea. I messed up big time on a response and had to delete the entire thing and reply to my deleted comment (that shows [deleted] so you can't hide from your shame).

      Delete
  3. Hombre,

    I'm going to go ahead and compliment your on your blog layout first of all. Only person to bother to use tags and your colors work well. It's not like some blogs where I'm blinded by neon green text with an electric yellow background.

    I definitely agree with you on the depressing nature of Death of a Salesman. A lot of people seem to have no qualms about insulting Willy because of his mistakes and his character, but I can't find myself doing it. It just seems so cruel and distant.

    I think your use of brainwash is hyperbole. People are very entrenched in their own views. Most of the time, brainwashing will only work at a very young age (not a junior where your views are probably pretty cemented already). In fact, I would challenge the notion that liberals have a monopoly on subtle "indoctrination" in schools. If you look at this:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/24/hundreds-colorado-students-protest-proposed-history-curriculum-changes/
    You can see that it clearly isn't only liberals. On top of that, the pledge of allegiance is yet another widely accepted but fairly creepy practice in America that stems from conservative efforts. In what other countries, excluding hyper-nationalistic regimes, do we see a pledge of allegiance being recited in every school and at every sporting event?

    And it cannot be denied that in history, the conservatives have usually been on the "wrong side" of history. Conservative really just means you want slow change or little change at all and hold traditional values/beliefs. Put that attitude in a slave holding nation and your "traditional values" are keeping your slaves. A history book acknowledging history as it happened and acknowledging what group of peoples were behind it can hardly be said to be biased, no?

    NOW I'm not saying liberals don't have their many flaws. They do and I consider myself in the center because of that.

    What are your thoughts? Sorry if I seem like I'm attacking you (I'm not trying to).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahmad,

      Thank you for your comments!

      I agree with you that I was using aggressive and exaggerated wording when discussing the bias in my history text book. However, I disagree that political views are pretty cemented by junior year in high school. Political views are often based on experience and interaction with the real world, and most people do not develop a solid political opinion until they reach adulthood. And even in adulthood, media outlets and propaganda can substantially shape an individual's outlook on the world.
      I agree with you on your statement that both liberal and conservative ideals can be found in education systems, and I did not mean to over generalize when talking about the liberal influence I found in the text book.
      However, I think that your conception of conservative politics is slightly skewed, conservatives do not want to slow change or hold traditional beliefs, but rather seek to protect and sustain the individual's liberties and rights as a free citizen, and are conservative when considering national power over the individual's rights. As Benjamin Franklin once said, "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Did you ever consider that the reason why you believe that conservatives "have usually been on the 'wrong side' of history" is because all throughout your life, you have been taught to believe so?

      If you read the note that is at the end of the main post, in place of my commentary on the text book, and the reply to Morgan's comment, you will see that my point is not that education is over-liberalized or that it has a political control over Americas youth, but rather that it is important to be able to recognize the bias within education, and to consciously choose to accept the information at hand as fact or opinion. We, as slightly educated upperclassmen have an amazing ability to see the influence of various outlets of literature. and form our own ideas and opinions based upon them.

      I'm sorry about the length of my reply, I just felt the need to clarify thoroughly. You brought up some very valid points and I really appreciate it!

      Delete
    2. Ha sorry for replying this literally a month after you did but I guess it doesn't email you when someone replies to your reply. I was wondering why you hadn't responded but just saw this through coincidence.

      I would like to cite the dictionary definition of conservative here. It is someone who is "holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation, typically in relation to politics or religion." Maybe your definition is different, but as a whole conservatism has little to do with protecting individual liberties and rights. Both Democrats and Republicans today take away many rights and government has been expanding since the day it began here in America.

      I do acknowledge that my views are shaped by what I've experienced and what I've been taught, but that does not discount the validity of those beliefs.

      I appreciate your effort to reply and your reasonable discourse :s

      Delete
  4. Hey Abbey, couple of things to say.

    First, to get the off topic out of the way, I really enjoy your lay out. The stars are very pretty and your 'mind blown' counter was amusing. Also, as Morgan said, there were a couple of grammatical errors.

    Down to an actually analysis of your writing though: I loved your response. My last group made these response-to-peer commenting nights a nightmare because they missed a lot of concepts that we covered in class. You hit everything though! More so, you made connections between the materials, which makes this comment purely a session of praise.

    My favorite part of your post was the connection you drew between The American Dream and Death of a Salesman. Unfortunately you only said that you had made a connection, but you never really went into what that connection was. I had felt a connection between the two too.

    Allow me to explain. After annotating the book this weekend, I had found that there was an alarming amount of Theater of the Absurd elements in Death of a Salesman, and we all know that The American Dream is a Theater of the Absurd piece. I know, call me crazy, but I think that plethora of confusing scenes and lack of real progress despite the numerous arguments puts Death of a Salesman up for nomination as a Theater of the Absurd element. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt,

      Thanks for your suggestion to add more to my connection between The American Dream and Death of a Salesman! I plan on putting in a little clarification in my revision. I would not have initially thought that both plays could be Theatre of the Absurd. However, now that you mention how both contain confusing scenes and lack of real progress, I can sort of see the connection.

      One thing I am not sure of is if DoaS really is Theatre of the Absurd because I felt like most of the events that took place in the play were not incredibly abnormal; Willy's affair and suicide were not as shocking to the audience as the mutilation and murder of an innocent child in TAD. I also think that Theatre of the Absurd has a sort of complex element of comedy in it, where DoaS was not particularly comedic in nature. Yes, with the flashbacks and present scenes being intertwined, the play was confusing at times, but I think that it was necessary to portray Willy's thought process, not as a part of the Theatre of the Absurd.

      Delete